The Art of Praxiteles V
The last years of the sculptor (around 340 to 326 BC).
2014, 110 pp., 40 ill. b/n
17 x 24 cm
The book is focused on the last works of the most famous late classical sculptor of Greece, the Athenian Praxiteles: his oeuvre from around 340 to his death in 326 BC is analytically considered.
The most important works of this master considered in this essay are the Eubuleus, the Phryne of Delphi, the Leconfield Aphrodite and the Sleeping Eros.
The last works of Praxiteles are particularly important because they shed light to the crucial moment of the decline of the free city state and of the rise of the Hellenistic model of monarchy.
With these creations our artist depicted a world of beautiful tales and of mundane beauty which will be extremely influential during the golden period of the Roman classicism as well as during the post - ancient Renaissances.
Antonio Corso attended his curriculum of studies in classics and archaeology in Padua, Athens, Frankfurt and London. He published 111 scientific essays which include several tens of articles in peer reviewed periodicals and 10 books in prestigious series.
The most important areas covered by his studies are the ancient art criticism and the knowledge of classical Greek artists.
In particular he collected in three books the written testimonia on Praxiteles and in other four books he reconstructed the life and oeuvre of this sculptor.
He also delivered many lectures and papers in conferences in several academic institutions and was awarded senior fellowships and honours by top research foundations.
Actually he is holder of a contract with the Centre of Vitruvian Studies.
From around 340 to around 335 BC
56. The Eubuleus
57. The statue in Pentelic marble of Rhea in the temple of Hera at Plataeae
58. The statue in Pentelic marble of Hers teleia in the temple of Hera at Plataeae
59. The statue of Thrasymachus at Thespiae
60. The marble statue of Trophonius in the sanctuary and temple of this hero at Lebadia
61. The marble Artemis in the sanctuary and temple of this goddess near Anticyra
62. The gilded bronze statue of Aphrodite / Phryne on a column in Pentelic marble in the sanctuary of Apollo at Delphi
From around 335 to around 330 BC
63. The bronze statue of Charidemus of Pitane dedicated by Abydus and set up at Delphi
64. Sculptures in the late classical altar of the sanctuary of Artemis at Ephesus
65. The Aphrodite in the Adonium of Alexandria near Mt. Latmus
66. The Leto at Myra
From around 330 to 326 BC
68. The Sleeping Eros
Addenda et expungenda
69 = 4 bis. The statue of Castor
The life and oeuvre of Praxiteles: a summary of the evidence
Index of the works of Praxiteles
Index of written sources
The Late Phase of his Activity.
The Advanced Maturity of the Sculptor.
The Mature Years.
Materiali di epoca romana
contextos, usos y miradas
Itinerari nel mondo della navigazione,tra storia, archeologia ed etnografia
Potere e orgoglio