La cattedrale di San Feliciano a Foligno. Trasformazioni dal XVI al XIX secolo
In: Quaderni dell'Istituto di Storia dell'Architettura, 2020
The cathedral of San Feliciano in Foligno. Transformations from the 16th to the 19th century
The article traces the salient transformations that the medieval church faced in about four centuries. Dramatic events occurred such as the collapse of a vault in 1513, during the construction works conducted by “Cola Matteucci da Caprarola”. The municipality of Foligno approved in 1525 a model by Antonio da Sangallo the Younger; then the dome was built in the years 1543-1549 with a project by “Giuliano di Baccio da Firenze” and under the direction of “Filippo Delli Salvi da Como”. In 1731 the architect Barigioni presented a renovation design, to solve the problem of the slanted plan of the north wing of the transept. However the intervention of Luigi Vanvitelli in 1754 and the subsequent one by Piermarini were then decisive: we owe to the first one the overall design of the church, to the other the detailed information for the construction.