La Farnesiana presso Allumiere: note storiche
In: Quaderni dell'Istituto di Storia dell'Architettura, 2020
Farnesiana near Allumiere: some historical notes
Farnesiana is a small rural settlement that lies a few kilometres north of Allumiere; its history is closely related to the mining and processing of the alunite, started at the mineral deposit discovery on the Tolfa mountains – in the second half of the fifteenth century –. Its origins are still uncertain, dating back to the 15th-16th century, even if basing on more ancient structures located in the same place, dating back to the Middle Ages, the origins of the village are possibly more ancient. The paper focuses on religious buildings: the study shares significant and unpublished archival documents, clarifying questions related to the village chapel – during the 19th century, called Oratory of San Carlo – in use until 1852, and describes the construction and restoration works carried out on the church of Santa Maria della Mola, designed by Giacomo Palazzi, inaugurated in 1859. Santa Maria della Mola church, showed static problems in a short time after the construction; to supervise reinforcement works were in charge Virginio Vespignani and then Ignazio del Frate, architect of the Monte di Pietà.