Due protomi leonine dalla decorazione del tempio di Venere e Roma?
In: Bullettino della Commissione Archeologica Comunale di Roma: 117, 2017
Two colossal marble lion heads, currently in the Musei Capitolini in Rome (inserted in the wall of the courtyard in the Palazzo Nuovo on the Capitoline Hill), are identified as part of the decoration of Hadrian’s Temple of Venus and Rome, inaugurated 135 AD on the Velia Hill, by comparison with a similar lion head now in the Museo Gregoriano Profano in the Vatican. From 1816 onwards they were on display in the Scalone of the Palazzo Nuovo, and only about 1905-1907 they were moved to their current position in the courtyard, on the walls above the niches containing the Valle Satyrs. This discovery improves our knowledge of the Hadrianic phase of the ‘templum Urbis’.