Il progetto per la chiesa di San Francesco di Paola ai Monti e l'attività architettonica di Giovanni Pietro Moraldi
In: Quaderni dell'Istituto di Storia dell'Architettura: 67, 2018
The Roman Church dedicated to St. Francis of Paola is part of a convent complex built following the wishes of Don Giovanni Pizzullo
from Calabria, who left the Cesarini Palace as inheritance to the Minimi Fathers along with the adjoining garden near San Pietro in
Vincoli. Research carried out thus far had not succeeded in shedding light on the design authorship of the church but, thanks to documents found in the Capitoline Historical Archives, it is now possible to affirm that the project’s author was Giovanni Pietro Moraldi,
who developed the concept around 1636. The work is inserted in the context of revision processes of the Counter-Reformist schools,
which led architects of the early 17th century to experiment with patterns generated by the union of different planimetric models.
They focused on the centralization of the longitudinal system with examples of hierarchical differentiation between the chapels.
Working on these premises, Moraldi was able to take the contemporary research a step forward, anticipating later solutions and reinforcing the feeling that there is still a lot to say about this character and his long series of works, a few hints of which are given here.