Nuovi documenti sulla cappella Accoramboni in Sant'Andrea delle Fratte e sulla figura di Giovanni Somazzi
In: Quaderni dell'Istituto di Storia dell'Architettura: 70, 2019
A number of unpublished documents provide a more complete view regarding the realization of the Chapel of the Crucifix in the Church of Sant’Andrea delle Fratte in Rome. It was created, from 1661 onwards, by Giovanni Somazzi, a marble craftsman who had worked on many relevant building sites and with important architects such as Borromini, Bernini and Virgilio Spada, as well as on various chapels during the seventeenth century. These experiences led him to take inspiration from various sites and to compose, in a personal and autonomous way, the lay-out of Sant’Andrea, which freely syncretizes, using only quarry stones, lexical elements from other Roman chaplaincies, drawing, too, from a peculiar and infrequent use of symbolic repertory.