Le antichità di Napoli e l'orgoglio municipale nella Mappa topografica del Duca di Noja
In: Studi e Ricerche del Parco Archeologico di Pompei: 43, 2020
The most important eighteenth-century cartographic representation of Naples is the Mappa topografica della città di Napoli e de’ suoi contorni (1775) commissioned by Giovanni Carafa, Duke of Noja, considered “the best portrait existing still today of the city of Naples in the middle of the century”. The map has a rich decorative set, such as the Veduta di Napoli engraved in the middle, but the city is mainly identified by symbolic and almost ‘institutional’ representations, such as the Sebeto river and the wild horse and a composition of architectural ruins, epigraphs, sculptures, vases and coins, largely from the Duke’s collection which flowed into the Museum of Naples in 1771. A series of elements that contribute to making the whole not a generic ‘ruinistic’ composition, so frequent in the engravings, but a solemn representation of the city’s antiquity, mixed with a sincere urban pride. The Duke’s wish is thus carried out in the Mappa: “it is a natural thing for men to see with pleasure published, and eternalized the memory of the places, where they were born, and educated, of the paternal, and friendly houses, and domestic rarities”.