L'Instituto di Corrispondenza Archeologica 190 anni dopo: la prospettiva italiana
In: Bullettino della Commissione Archeologica Comunale di Roma: 120, 2020
After a few notes about the cultural climate in Rome during the early Nineteenth century, outlined above all through the words of Giacomo Leopardi, the author briefly retraces the fundamental stages of the birth, in 1829, of the Instituto di Corrispondenza Archeologica and its subsequent development. The progressive taking over of a vast portion of the Capitol which belonged to the Caffarelli, Marescotti and Montanari families by the Prussian Empire caused a harsh conflict with the Papal State, which came to an end only with the reacquisition of the Germanic properties by the Kingdom of Italy after the First World War. The text comes with graphic and photographic documentation, which allows to follow the sequence of designs of new architectural works and the renovations of already existing buildings on the Capitoline Hill, as well as the events that determined the succession of the different protagonists. It’s useful to focus the attention on some unpublished drawings by the architect J.M. Knapp which relates to the renovation of the still existing building used as Casa Tarpea.