Il Regio Ufficio Geologico di Raffaele Canevari: nuove acquisizioni su un originale processo di trasformazione nella Roma tardo-ottocentesca
In: Quaderni dell'Istituto di Storia dell'Architettura: 72, 2020
This essay retraces the activities regarding the construction of the Geological Museum in Largo di Santa Susanna in Rome. Built by Raffaele Canevari between 1879 and 1883, it represents one of the first examples of iron architecture in the capital city. The discovery of unpublished documents provide a more complete view on the operating methods, materials and techniques used. The comparison of pre-existing seventeenth-century convent’s drawings with the current building help to clarify better the design approach underlying this transformation process; Canevari obtained an highly innovative result by inserting in the convent wall box’s a new metal structure. The archival material, together with the direct observation of the building, has been instrumental in investigating the structural and compositional innovations of this building, also highlighting the less evident aspects.