Il sepolcro degli Scipioni: un restauro negli anni del Governatorato
In: Quaderni dell'Istituto di Storia dell'Architettura: 73-74, 2021
Sepulchrum Scipionum: a restoration during the years of the Governorate
During the Governorate of Rome, established in 1925, Mussolini outlined a program to revive the greatness of Rome. This plan, which included massive demolitions aimed at freeing the ruins of the buildings of the Roman Empire, included the restoration and the reopening to public access of the Sepulchrum Scipionum on the Via Appia. This restoration, carried out between 1926 and 1929, was the result of the collaboration of high-profile professionals and scholars, such as Paul Nicorescu, Antonio Maria Colini and most of all Italo Gismondi, who worked to restore the original topography of the site and recover its formal structure, clearing the front from the ground and demolishing the intrusive inner 18th-century masonries, which had compromised the primitive configuration. These interventions, realized conservative attitude, also show confidence in modern experimental techniques (e.g. the use of iron reinforcement structures) demonstrating audacity and determination, seeking a balance between technical innovation and conservation.