La Basilica di Santa Maria Nova - Santa Francesca Romana
In: Quaderni dell'Istituto di Storia dell'Architettura: 73-74, 2021
The Basilica of Santa Maria Nova - St. Francesca Romana
At the top of the Via Sacra, next to the Arch of Titus, between the basilica of Maxentius and the Temple of Venus and Rome, stands the Basilica of Santa Maria Nova, well known as Santa Francesca Romana.
The church was built in the second half of the 10th century. It was first dedicated between 996 and 999.
In 1161, under Pope Alexander III, the apse with its decoration and the bell tower were built. The church was later restored under pope Honorius III, between 1216 and 1227, with renovations to the roof and façade.
In 1332 the Olivetan monks began to officiate at the diaconia of Santa Maria Nuova. Between 1370 and 1371 Gregory XI had the cloister behind the church rebuilt. On 15th August 1425 St. Francesca Romana and ten disciples made a vow and founded the first nucleus of the congregation. In 1608, during the pontificate of Paul V, the canonization of St. Frances Romana was celebrated. Between 1608 and 1615 the church was rebuilt by Carlo Lombardi with Pope Paul V (1605-1621) and the Olivetan monks. In 1816, architect Valadier worked on the monastery complex, restoring the west-facing façade of the building. In 1900, the cloister behind the apse was restored by Giacomo Boni.